Monday, August 19, 2013

One Word...just one

The trip to Maui in 2001 that began Jim's love affair with Hawaiian shirts
A month or so ago I asked on Facebook if everyone would share one word that best described who Jim was to them.  I was overwhelmed with how many responses I received.  So, if you contributed to my little ask, thank you. And bless the ones that could not limit themselves to just one word...it was a difficult task.

I've used some of those words to make something special for my kids.  I try to do a little something for them each year.  In 2011 it was quilts made out of his t-shirts/hawaiian shirts, last year it was scrapbooks on Father's Day of all the things he saved they had made or given to him.  I realize it probably causes sadness, these gifts, but my hope is as time continues to pass, these tangible reminders will bring smiles and memories.

My favorite word: Edie's!  (Thanks, CB) He was indeed mine as I was his for 30 years.  As we mark the 2nd year without him, I realize this year has other milestones: Jim's 50th birthday, and our 30th wedding anniversary.  (So much for my plans for a "trash the dress" photo shoot)  Milestones I get to mark without him.

Words that were repeated, multiple times:  KIND, HONEST, COMMITTED,  DISCIPLE, FAMILY, FAITHFUL.  Jim was kind (my word for him); honest, so incredibly committed, whether it be to his family, to our God, to work. Disciple & Faithful:  I got to watch Jim's faith grow as we grew up together.  He lead youth groups, he was an Elder, he was on Church Boards, he was a Stephen Minister, he learned to play bass guitar because he wanted to play in a band with his boy and the new church plant, well, they needed a bass player.  He was the ONLY person that without fail attended set up at St. Peter every Saturday night and without complaint.  He LOVED doing setup!  
In his death, he still is a disciple: I want to ensure I'm living my life with No Regrets and because he died, my faith has grown in the most incredible, deep ways! I'm now a Stephen Minister, God works in amazing ways when tragedy strikes, opening up doors you've never considered, inspiring in ways you never imagined.
I believe it could be ironic & funny that as I was going through Stephen Ministry training, I realized that Jim would use a lot of the skills he learned in his training on ME!  He was good at making me realize that my feelings were mine as his feelings were his, and whether they were the same or not, they were our own and worthy of being acknowledged and respected.  See, I use to feel that my feelings needed to be his, too...mine were the only ones that counted!  I had quite a laugh during class when I realized this.

Other words to describe Jim: Comfort, Musical, Fun, Loved, Family, Honorable, Dependable, Loyal, Truthful, Gentle, Devoted, Loving, Smiling, Steadfast, Steady, Strong, Baseball, Happy, Music, Friendly, Gentle, Sweet, Funny, Beloved, Christian, Caring, Easy Going, Truth, Talented, Friend, Calm, Loving, Solid, Rocks! Humble, Joyous...Daddy (for Elizabeth) & Father (for Austin). Those last two words, the most important to him! Such incredible words to describe a man I have loved for well over half my life!


It's year two.  I'm throwing a party, inviting those I love to share in this day. I need to be surrounded by people who loved Jim and/or love my kids and me, celebrating a life that was too short here on earth, but one that will never be forgotten.  
So raise a glass tonight, wear your best Hawaiian shirt and toast the man who still makes me want to be a better person each and every day!  As you remember him, do something nice, loving, happy, sweet, funny, (use one of those words) for someone in memory of Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment